Thursday, April 14, 2016

Cosplay- Komachi Onozuka


Character: Komachi Onozuka
Series: Touhou Project
Debut: Seishuncon 2011 (June 5th)
Costume: Kureiyaa

I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't like Komachi. In any case, I certainly like her. Her carefree spirit is really fun.
This costume was actually a remake of an older version of the costume. The first version was rushed and had the bare minimum to work with. I wanted to make sure I used everything I could from the first version into the second as not to waste supplies. I mostly settled on structural upgrades and focusing on a small amount of details. I had been working out how to put my own spin on the cosplay without it being completely inaccurate. I decided to go with a curlier hairstyle and leave most of the other details the same and it's a decision I'm glad to have made. The curls really balance out the costume, I think.

The scythe was made by a friend. It actually comes apart at three different points to make it easier to travel with, which is pretty cool. Make no mistake, though, it doesn't fit in even my largest suitcase.

3 comments:

  1. The curls are a really nice touch and modifying a cosplay can get so tricky. It certainly has a great flow to her that you help pull off very well :3 Being able to break it apart into pieces has to be really convenient for travel....well...when it is that big, at least convenient for walking around a convention, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, as always! <3 You're so kind to me.
    I know that at Seishuncon, when I first had the scythe with me, I found it difficult to walk around with at first. Eventually I got to the point where I wasn't apologizing to someone with every step I took. Since the blade part is pretty light, I could carry it on my shoulder at an angle. I still had to be careful, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I do my best <3

      That's good that it was light. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been at a more condensed and crowded convention like Dragon*Con in one of those hallways. It certainly looks big enough it could hit a dozen people with just a small spin.

      Delete